I painted my office today (yay – I’m so excited!!) and I allowed my mind to wander a bit. Here are a few of the things I got thinking about – and it is not necessarily about painting at all!!
1. Don’t like something? Then change it! A little bit of sweat equity can change a lot of things in your life. Don’t like the colour on the wall in your bedroom? Then change it with some sweat equity. Don’t like how snug your jeans are fitting? Then change it with some sweat equity! Don’t like your job? Then make a plan and change it with some sweat equity!
2. Take risks! Pick interesting colours. I’m not sure this colour is going to be totally fab on my wall – but what’s the worst that could happen? If I don’t like it I will just paint it again. Sometimes you just need to take a leap of faith!
3. Tedious manual labour is good for the soul. When you are busy with manual tasks your mind wanders, and there is no telling where your mind will go! Inspiration may strike, you may come up with a brilliant idea, or you may re-evaluate where your life is going.
4. Sing like no one’s listening. Dance like no one’s watching. Even if you have to dance while standing on a chair with a paint roller in your hands while singing along to Afrikaans folk songs.
4. Proper preparation pays off. It takes forever to prep a room for painting: fill in holes and sand it down, tape all the edges, take off all outlet face plates. But you know what, when you pull back the tape to reveal crisp edges and smooth walls it will all be well worth it. Set yourself up for success… in painting and in life.
5. Your home is your castle. You know I love to refer to my house as my nest. Any time and effort spent on personalizing our home is well worth it. It is where we live. It is where we eat and play and rest and laugh – and putting in a good Sunday afternoon painting it will be worth the warmth and happiness it ads to OUR nest.
6. Don’t take things too seriously. Life is too short and perfection is boring
Keep an eye out for my office reveal soon!