Happy Valentines Day!
Is this really yet another holiday giving us the excuse to indulge in sweets and chocolates? Uhm…I think I can handle that!
This past weekend I made cupcakes to indulge my sweet tooth (and my hunny’s sweet tooth). But these cupcakes are all about the frosting! Chocolate’s undoubtedly got its place in the world and I’m a huge vanilla fan but I felt like having somethin’ a little different this time.
Enter vanilla cupcakes with Peach and Apricot Tea Frosting! I am a big time tea lover and always have a whole bunch of different kinds and flavours in my kitchen cupboard. The other day I was flipping through a pretty book at the bookstore and saw Earl Grey icing on a cake… the wheels started turning and Peach and Apricot Tea Frosting was born.
The sweet fruitiness of the peach an apricot, coupled with a hint of that distinctive black tea flavour made for the perfect cupcake frosting. Oh my word I couldn’t keep my fingers out of the mixing bowl!
Using tea as the base for your frosting leaves you with virtually unlimited options: I am already thinking of using some berry or pomegranate tea, or maybe even some peppermint or lavender tea.
So just how do you get the real deal tea flavour into your frosting?
You will need:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of boiled water
- 3 bags of Peach and Apricot Tea (or whatever tea you want to use)
- Bring the cream and water to a boil. Add the teabags and set aside to steep for at least 15 minutes
- In a bowl, cream the butter and add the vanilla
- Sift in the icing sugar and keep mixing
- Squeeze all the cream and water out of the teabag and add the liquid to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until you have a thick frosting
So I know that today is the big LOOOOVE day, but let’s make sure we show our love every day… and maybe have a spoon of frosting while we’re at it!