Over the last year or so I have become a lot more intentional in bringing relaxing moments into my week. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say that life can be pretty hectic – am I right? I find that the better I take care of myself, the more I have to give to others. The only thing is that it can sometimes be tricky to squeeze in some relaxation. Often times I wonder: “If I have to squeeze it in and feel rushed, what’s the point?”. But the benefits are always oh-so worth it!
Today I am sharing with you guys one of my favourite tuning-out rituals. You only need 10 minutes for this, and not only is it a great way of quieting your mind, it is also a very kind habit for your skin
Green Tea Steam Facials. Alternately named: The Poor Girl’s Mid Week Spa Date.
Y’all know that I am a huge advocate for creating beautiful surroundings to support your mood and increase joy and productivity. So when I squeeze in that steam facial I add to the enjoyment by using my beautiful white ceramic bowl. It just feels more luxurious and feminine than any of the other containers that I have. Instant spa vibe!
I love to use pretty towels. My favourites are either my white fluffy ones (especially in the winter!) or my ribbed white ones. And of course flowers are special and pretty and girly – perfect for my special, girly time that makes me feel pretty!
When I think of enhancing my surroundings, I pay attention to my senses:
See: pretty white bowl
Feel: Soft towels
Hear: Play my chill music (surely you have a chill playlist too?!)
Smell: Add tea to the water – in this case Yogi Tea‘s Tripple Echinacea Green Tea
Ok, I got stumped on taste, but 4 out of the 5 senses aren’t bad. I suppose I could also have a cup of tea at the same time!
The Echinacea Green Tea smells so heavenly: It is soothing and refreshing at the same time. Inhaling the moist and fragrant steam has a calming effect on me. A wonderful side effect of a steam facial is that you unintentionally end up taking deeeeeeeeep breaths – another fantastic relaxation technique.
How to create your own home spa date:
- Grab a nice wide bowl (wider than the width of your face) and fill with boiled water
- Add some essential oils (like lavender!) or your selected tea bag
- Wait a couple of minutes because you do not want to burn your face with the steam
- Place the bowl on a table or chair about the same hight as the chair you will be sitting on
- Use a large towel to cover your shoulders, head and the circumference of the bowl as you lean over the bowl of steaming water
- Support your body by resting on your forearms – that way you don’t place too much pressure on your back and neck
- Relax for about 5-10 minutes. Take some deep breaths. Relax your mind. Just be in the moment.
- Once your time is up, lightly pat your face try with the towel.
- Next, rinse your face with cold water at the sink to get rid of all of the impurities you were sweating out.
- Pat your face try again and moisturize.
- Enjoy feeling refreshed, nourished and energized!
Awesome benefits of a facial steam:
- It cleanses and deep cleans your pores because you sweat out a lot of impurities (for example pimples, blackheads, or just general impurities from the outside world).
- The steam hydrates both the deeper and outer levels of your skin
- The cleansing and hydrating leaves you with baby soft skin
- Smaller pores leave the skin looking revived
- Adding echinacea is hydrating for sensitive and dry skin (helloooo glowing winter skin!)
So don’t you think you deserve a home spa date soon? Go for it!!
AND… Amanda of Start with a Nibble is the winner of the Adora milk and dark chocolate packs!! Amanda, send me your address and I will arrange to have your prize delivered to you. Congrats girl – time to get your calcium on!