Way back in March I posted some Sprinkles Cupcakes that I had made. My family was coming over for Sunday afternoon coffee and I wanted to spruce up the plain glass plates that I had. The little blue dots that came with the mix were so darn cute! Then I remembered a stack of scrapbooking papers that I had and went to work on customizing the plates specially for the occasion.
And then it struck me: I can change the look of the plates to match what I am serving at parties or get-togethers! I like to pick out an accent colour or pattern from the appetizer or treat that I am serving and then pick a paper that would compliment it. This is especially great for when you are throwing a party with a colour scheme or a theme, for example a bridal shower, Thanksgiving, birthdays, Easter brunch….
Have a look at how these $1 plates (yes, I picked mine up at the dollar store…true story!) get a new life every time I serve something else on it:
The “how-to” is really dead simple:
- use clear glass plates (I have side plates, but you can do this with dinner plates as well)
- select a piece of scrapbooking paper that you want to use based on the colour or theme you want to work with
- use a small bowl with the same diameter as the bottom of the plate to trace as many circles as you would need on the back of the selected paper
- cut out with siscors
- lightly apply some glue from a glue stick to the paper (don’t worry, it should come off really easy after use)
- stick to the bottom of the plate – hold it in place until the glue dries
I am all for cheapo-do-it-your-self-recycle-what-you-have party tricks! It goes to show that you can give a plain stack of glass plates like these some attitude!